Archive for the 'Galley' Category

Sink issues

I (Jon) finished this job on April 2nd.

The starboard side kitchen sink drain has to make two 90 degree bends in order to clear the cabinets it sits above and get to the through hull. Not a particularly good set-up, but not much can be done about it. Scum and grossness has built up inside the horizontal part of these bends. I pulled the plumbing apart, and fully cleaned and scrubbed all the parts. There was a complete blockage at both 90 degree bends and all along the horizontal tube. It smelled disgusting.

You can see this post on the main Syzygy site for a more humorous take on it.

Also, at some point a smell began emanating from the forward part of the boat and which seemed to be coming from the sink in the head so I thought the same thing might be happening in the head. In trying to take apart the plumbing, I sheered the metal fixture off the bottom of the sink. Fuck me. Now the only way to appropriately attach a hose to the sink so that it can drain is to buy a new sink.

Currently I have a through hull attached to the sink.  The through hull sits at the bottom of the sink and goes down beneath it to the hose that connects to the through-hull. This is supremely sub-optimal as now a small layer of water can’t drain out the sink. It sits in the sink and nastiness develops since we use it to brush our teeth and what not. But it was the best I could do while out at sea.

And oh, the sink was not the cause of the smell. It was the holding tank. More on that later.

Sealant jobs

I (Jon) finished these jobs variously on Dec. 15th, 16th, and 20th.

I put a bead of UV 4200 under both sides of the cap rail and along the edge of all of the port lights. Some places on the cap rail, particularly at the stern had large, deep gaps. I tried to make sure that 4200 got all the way into the back of the gap and it was completely filled.

I also put a new bead around the sinks in the galley and along all of the edges of the galley countertop.

 

Serviced Watermaker

It’s a Village Marine Tec “little wonder” watermaker.  Supposed to output 6-8 gph (gallons per hour).  The installation by the previous owner’s is quite beautiful–very compact, well labelled, with plenty of attention to detail.  We hadn’t used or even tried the watermaker whatsoever; it wasn’t a priority in light of more critical projects.

Before we departed San Diego I wanted to get this taken care of, because I knew it would be nearly impossible to get parts anywhere along our route.  Even though I was pretty positive that it would need a new membrane, I turned it on and ran it and messed around with it a bit to get the hang of it before replacing it, so that I wouldn’t ruin our new membrane.

First I had to redo much of the plumbing: the original configuration of the boat had pressurized freshwater which we removed, and the watermaker was plumbed into that system.  So I carefully considered all the rules and requirements listed in the watermaker manual, designed a new plumbing arrangement, and made that happen.

One of the biggest changes with the plumbing is that the carbon filter became unnecessary within the watermaker circuit, so I replumbed the system so the water from the tank passes through the carbon filter on its way to the galley sink.  Convenient that I could use the existing installation to filter our drinking water.  Next owners of Syzygy, hopefully you read this and take note and are less confused as a result.

I replaced the membrane–that was close to $300 I believe.  Then I dismantled, cleaned, reassembled, and changed the oil in the high-pressure pump.  Things still weren’t proceeding smoothly, so I redid all the wiring–new terminals, cleaned the terminal block, put dielectric grease on everything.  Still not happy.  After much investigation I discovered that the low-pressure pump had a cracked a manifold, so I had to spend another $250 for the pump–expensive pump, a little sealed, magnetically operated jobby.

After all that was said and done, the thing worked–at about 4 gallons per hour.  Which makes me really mad, because 4 gallons per hour is next to nothing.  It turned out to be very impractical to ever run the pump, because it drew so much power for so little return.  Moreover, with two 75 gallon water tanks we never got close to running out of water.  We didn’t even have to refill it that often–with three people on board it still lasted about 3 weeks without a refill.  Not having pressurized water, and only using a small amount of freshwater for rinsing off after salt water showers made an enormous difference in water usage.  Plus we carried spare four 6-gallon jerry jugs of emergency water up on the rail, besides.

Consequently, the watermaker was operated only rarely, which is bad for the membrane and causes it to fail–you’re supposed to run it at least once a week to keep it operational.  So I spent all that money and did all that work and the watermaker is too low volume to be worthwhile, and wasn’t even necessary.  Bummer.

Replaced seawater faucet (again)

When we took out the pressurized freshwater system, we removed the standard kitchen-style faucet that was in the galley and replaced it with a home-made faucet fashioned out of a piece of copper tubing, to use for the seawater foot pump we installed.  We spent a lot of time with various fittings and heat shrink tubing to make our own fixture that would be able to rotate yet not leak.  It worked for a few months, then one day I grabbed it and tried to rotate it out over the sink and the copper tubing just twisted on me.  Clearly it wasn’t going to be a lasting solution.  So I bit the bullet and bought a brass fixture from Svendsens.  Then of course I had to drill a new hole to accomodate it, since the old hole was way too big and there weren’t enough threads on the fixture to let me fit large washers.